Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 25 07:54:31 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 07:18:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 21:20 +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: […]
>> GTK is great as a GUI toolkit especially with the use of CSS
>> for styling, UI markup/xml/json-like support and modern smart
>> layouts. Very basic and flexible to powerful theming with CSS.
>> Only issue is its not cross platform by design...and its C.
>
> Does it matter what language a library being used is written in
> as long as the binding/wrapper to D is a good quality one? GtkD
> is a great binding/wrapper to GTK created using the correct
> tools for creating binding/wrapper to a GObject- based library.
>
> Also of course D is supposed to be able to use C libraries
> without the masses
> of overhead that Rust requires.

  I would agree with Russel. Indeed we have some resource that
maintains GtkD, it work well to create a D heavy application.

To my point of view the market is not bound to a D GUI. They are
2 two targets:

1/ light application so we need a killer framework "à la"
jhipster (https://www.jhipster.tech)
This allow to create in less than 10 min minutes a three-tier
architecture with these features: ready to be packaged (build
script and dockerfile are generated), draw me your data I
generate the code (uml to query), security ready (SSO technology
are provided), database agnostics (choose cassandra, mysql,
postgrsql, mongodb) I create the query for you.

2/ data scientist framework, python start to become famous around
2012 but its reputation grow hugely with the new frameworks
around data analysis, mining and learning. Especially with
tensorflow, pytorch and so on ...

D can be a player in this fields if we prowide such powerful
framework easy to use for the end user. Or easy to use for a any
developer in such case we need to look what it is done by Apache
with yarn,parquet,spark,hbase ...

For me D can become a huge player with one or bih killer
application in this two fields.