Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 06:56:08 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 20:40:46 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 19:00:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> Low level.  With some high level runtime features.  There is
>> very little room for high level optimization in D.
>
> I hope for that not to be the case if/when the MLIR SAOC
> project comes through.
>
> Even without that being able to do array of struct <-> struct
> of array in the language is very nice and as an example of high
> level optimisation parameterisation that is far more effective
> in allow optimisation from the top down and still be able to
> change design decisions.

Right, you can establish that a program follows a high level
strategy by statically proving that the program at hand is
written without depending on memory layout, but that doesn't make
the language high level (in which case all programs written in
that language have that property).

Though, I guess it is fair to say that if a language provides
100% encapsulation for library constructs then libraries can do
high level optimizations (if the language provide the right meta
programming features, e.g. term rewriting).