Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Oct 30 08:33:31 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 09:45 +0000, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Dub needs a Git tag and it needs to follow semantic versioning,
> otherwise Dub will ignore it. The tags for the compiler do not
> follow semantic versioning. There's no technical reason. It's
> just that the compiler releases doesn't follow the semantic
> versioning model. Any release can break anything, basically.

Should Dub really be mandating use of Git? Mercurial and Breezy still exist
even if GitHub, GitLab, and BitBucket make it seem like Git is the only VCS
option. Subversion is still also a player.

> I suggested a workaround until the compiler properly follows the
> semantic versioning model. Which is to add two tags for each new
> release. One that we already add today. The other one would be
> explicitly intended only for the library and would be `0.x.0` and
> we increment `x` by one for each release. Since the `0.x.y`
> versions have special meaning, it's for the initial development.
> Semantic versioning says:
>
> "Anything MAY change at any time. The public API SHOULD NOT be
> considered stable."

The numbering should at least be 2.x.y for the current DMD.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200