Andrei Alexandrescu needs to read this

drug drug2004 at bk.ru
Thu Oct 31 13:17:55 UTC 2019

On 10/28/19 2:03 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 28/10/2019 9:39 AM, drug wrote:

>>> Would it be reasonable to say that modern CPUs basically do JIT
>>> compilation of assembly instructions? Or at the very least, that they
>>> have a built-in "runtime" that is responsible for all that ILP magic
>>> - cache policy algorithms, MESI protocol, the branch predictor and so
>>> on. If so, you could argue that the Itanium was an attempt to avoid
>>> this "runtime" and transfer all these responsibilities to the
>>> compiler and/or programmer. Not a very successful one, apparently.
>>>
>>> It is also a bit analogous to the GC vs. deterministic manual memory
>>> management debate.
>> Wasn't Itanium fail be caused that AMD suggested another architecture
>> that was capable to run existing software while in case of Itanium
>> users was forced to recompile their source code? So Itanium failed
>> just because it was incompatible to x86?
>
> Intel created Itanium.
> AMD instead created AMD64 aka x86_64.
That's well known fact, I believe.

I meant that Intel planned that Itanium would be the next generation
processor after x86. But AMD extended x86 and created amd64 and the
plane of Intel failed because to use Itanium you shall recompile
everything and to use amd64 you just run you software as before.