Discussion: Rvalue refs and a Move construtor for D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 00:03:14 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 7:10 AM Suleyman via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 08:59:08 UTC, Les De Ridder wrote:
> > [...]
> > Maybe a solution with a UDA is possible?
>
> Possible.
>
> > I'm not sure why there are three different ways to 'cast to an
> > rvalue'?
> > Is there a technical reason?
>
> I'm just demonstrating the possibilities. Likely only one of them
> will be picked.
>
> > I also noticed you're casting lvalues to 'rvalues' and then
> > binding them a `ref` param. Is that not an rvalue reference?
>
> Yes but I would argue this is just a perk of rvalue ref and not
> what the essence of it is.
> You can do the same thing by assigning to a temporary then
> passing it by ref. This all the compiler does here.
>
> > Why can't we have generalised rvalue references instead?
>
> What do you need if for? Rvalue ref comes with it's own
> overloading and implicit conversion rules. Generalized rvalue ref
> is not absolutely needed for move semantics. What else comes to
> mind other than move semantics as a use case?

So, I think this PR is almost there WRT generalised rvalue ref's aswell.
This approach is a twofer; at least, with the tweak to use an
`@rvalue` attribute instead of a weird name.
If `this(@rvalue T)` only accepts rvalues, then as that interacts with
Andrei's DIP which he presented at dconf (available via `-preview`
today) which can pass rvalues to ref by implicit temporary, then this
naturally gives rvalue references by coincidence. It's encouraging
when language features fit together naturally.

So, I guess this is the suite of constructor-like functions that would
be technically possible: