Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at kaleidic.io
Tue Sep 3 22:37:04 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 at 08:06:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/26/2019 3:37 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> Given there is C and people feel it is time to move on to a
>> better language,
>> and we have D, C++, Rust, and Go as the obvious candidates,
>> there is a problem
>> none of these are actually candidates for the job of replacing
>> C. Even Go,
>> which is supposed explicitly to be C for the 2010s.
>
> I've translated a lot of C code into betterC, and it isn't hard
> and do not find myself missing anything about C in the process.

I think if we could make this process easy,maybe even automatic
that would make it much easier to adopt D.

C2Rust was a DoD project that cost millions I think.  But maybe
we could make it an SAoC project next year.  We could use their
CBOR dump of the C AST or DMC.

But is it unfair to say D is missing an AST that's pleasant to
work with?

I'm not sure whether it would be better to construct a parse tree
or AST for this purpose but eg with DPP my personal sense is it
would be useful to have a way to generate D code at a more
abstract level than strings.

Anyway if you could translate C to D it surely wouldn't hurt.