Discussion: Rvalue refs and a Move construtor for D

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Wed Sep 4 00:16:06 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 at 23:51:43 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 2:45 PM Suleyman via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> I'm still demanding a use case for rvalue ref other than for
>> move semantics.
>
> That's it; move semantics. That's not a minor thing...
> Why?

Because just detecting move-construction/-assignment/'argument
moval' can get away with special identifiers for
constructor/assignment operator or some special @move UDA, as
Suleyman has proposed so far, instead of fully extending the
language by rvalue refs, with mangling additions and new overload
rules etc.

It's clear that this would restrict C++ interop, but that's the
point - do we want to adopt the C++ approach fully, or keep
things simple & tidy at the expense of not being able to
represent C++ functions with rvalue refs (except for move
constructor and assignment op)?