Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 16:30:19 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 at 08:08:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/26/2019 4:00 AM, IGotD- wrote:
>> The speaker is right about one thing and that is that a
>> systems programming language must not have a runtime
>> dependency, or the runtime is completely OS independent. With
>> this definition this includes C, C++, D (-betterC only) and
>> Rust. As far as I know Go is runtime dependent and does not
>> qualify for this definition.
>
> C++ requires a runtime library that supports exception
> handling. DasBetterC does not need anything that C doesn't have.

DasBetterC is really quite brilliant. I'm a bit disappointed that
so many D fans on this forum react negatively to it.

It would be even better if there were more available libraries
built with DasBetterC, like formatted printing, so there is less
"roll your own".

I'm sympathetic to Mike Franklin's efforts to make D more "pay
for only what you use" but DasBetterC hits a sweet spot now.