Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Sep 5 20:50:03 UTC 2019

On 9/5/2019 3:06 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> As are almost all programming language features.

Pedantically true, but carefully designing features so they do not encourage
such excess is reasonably effective. For example, D's operator overloading is
set up to make it hard to do abominations like C++ iostreams.

> The lesson from Groovy was to
> actively avoid doing stupid things and to trust programmers not to f### things
> up. Which they didn't.

All programmers agree with this sentiment, and create a hellish mess anyway.

(I can't comment on Groovy, since I know too little about it or its community.)