Discussion: Rvalue refs and a Move construtor for D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 00:28:17 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 12:05 PM Suleyman via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 8 September 2019 at 18:49:51 UTC, Suleyman wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Then having `cast(rvalue)` instead of the `__move` intrinsic
> would make perfect sense in the language.

Right, you wanna make it a type constructor.
This should be the case also for ref and scope too... but you will
*never* get that past Walter.
This thing you describe is the single biggest fundamental mistake in
D, storage class is improperly used for a bunch of stuff. It's been
killing me slowly for a very long time... and I'm confident after so
many years that you will not succeed.

Supporting cast(@rvalue) doesn't depend on this anyway... you can make
that expression work either way.