Color highlighting makes usage of dustmite almost impossible for beginners

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Mon Sep 9 19:44:15 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am currently facing a compiler error for which I think it is a
bug
and wanted to use dustmite to reduce the source code:

   source\cp\puzzles\puzzle.d(454,35): Error: need this for name
of type string

Several parts of the error message are highlighted, e.g. "this"
and "name" and "string".
I thought I can use dustmite with a compiler regex

   dub dustmite ..\dm --compiler-regex="need this for name of type
string"

But dustmite fails with "Initial test fails". For a beginner this
would be
an unsolvable issue. By chance I found out what is causing the
issue.
If you switch off the color, the error message changes to:

   source\cp\puzzles\puzzle.d(454,35): Error: need `this` for
`name` of type `string`

Therefore you have to use this command

   dub dustmite ..\dm --compiler-regex="need `this` for `name` of
type `string`"

If the backticks are just a helper tool for marking the parts
which should be highlighted I would propose to remove them in the
none colored output.

What do you think?

Kind regars
André