DIP 1020--Named Parameters--Community Review Round 2

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 18:11:58 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 at 16:09:39 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 11/09/2019 3:45 AM, 12345swordy wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 at 14:19:02 UTC, rikki
>> cattermole wrote:
>>>
>>> This is intended.
>>> If you want to override the intention of the API author then
>>> we need to find another solution. One which I am unsure about
>>> how good it would be.
>>
>> Make it an opt-in compiler flag.
>>
>> Alex
>
> I do not believe a flag like this is a good solution.
> Over the years there has been a lot of talk about how bad
> -property is and it is similar in function to what you are
> proposing.

The issue with property atm, is that is half-baked. People keep
thinking that optional parentheses will replace it. It didn't as
it doesn't support operators such as += and ++. This flag deals
with the interaction with other libraries and public interfaces.

> However I do have a syntax in mind if there is an overwhelming
> call to support overriding the API makers intention for an API.
>
> The problem with it is, I have no idea how it would be
> implemented. But Walter seems to, so if the desire is there by
> enough people I guess I would have to add it.

Would it be better to have the named arguments opt-out via
@unnamed instead of opt-in via @named? If certain people are that
worry about breaking the public API, they should avoid mark their
function as "@unnamed", instead having to mark every function
@named just to use named arguments.

Besides we are dealing with c and c++ external bindings, and
there are tools that generate those bindings. If I were to modify
the tools to generate the @named arguments automatically, I still
may end up in a plausable situation where the c/c++ library
managers may changed the arguments names, which then causes
breakage in the public api. Which it renders the case for @named
moot, as you are not necessarily the developer for those c/c++
libraries.

This dip fail to provide a solid case where breakage from the
change of the public api function arguments is a huge deal that
needs to be avoided.

- Alex