DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Community Review Round 1

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 09:37:38 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 July 2019 at 15:23:32 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1021, "Argument Ownership and Function Calls":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/793f83911fdc8c88c6ef34e6a36b5e11e3e574e5/DIPs/DIP1021.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should
> occur in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET
> on July 30, or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 2, if further review is deemed necessary,
> the DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community
> Review. Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and
> Formal Assessment.
>
> For some additional context on this DIP, please see Walter's
> latest post on the D Blog titled "Ownership and Borrowing in D":
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/07/15/ownership-and-borrowing-in-d/
>
> But *please do not discuss the blog post or its topic in this
> thread*! Use my post in the Announce forum for that:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/hetwxvibgqcmoltvnoda@forum.dlang.org
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> I will be moving (copying, deleting, and pasting in a new
> thread) posts that do not adhere to the reviewer guidelines. So
> please keep all comments in this thread focused on DIP 1021.
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

I recently discovered a programming language called "Pony"
(https://www.ponylang.io/) and I believe it has an interesting
take on the pointer aliasing problem that is quite different than
Rust and is more akin to how D addresses such problems (e.g.
through attribution).

Pony uses what they call "Reference Capabilities" to tell the
compiler how references can or cannot be aliased, and I think it
is relevant to the same problem that this DIP and other efforts
within D are trying to solve.

You can find more information here:
https://tutorial.ponylang.io/reference-capabilities
https://zartstrom.github.io/pony/2016/08/28/reference-capabilities-in-pony.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDSnOZaU7Y&t=1869s

I hope you find it interesting if not influential.

Mike