DIP 1020--Named Parameters--Community Review Round 2

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:57:44 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 at 16:00:13 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 12/09/2019 3:12 AM, 12345swordy wrote:
>> What good is named arguments if around 90% libraries don't
>> support it?
>
> I won't put a percentage on the number of libraries that will
> not support it. Over time the number should decrease as people
> get use to it and find ways to use it to suit their style.

Given that adding @named to an existing parameter would be a
breaking change, it's unlikely any existing libraries--including
existing Phobos modules--will be updated to support named
arguments. Only new libraries written after DIP 1020 is
implemented and released will be in a good position to take
advantage of it.

This is a major downside to DIP 1020 compared to both Walter's
proposal and DIP 1019 ("Named Arguments Lite"), which would work
seamlessly with existing code.