newCTFE Status September 2019

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 07:31:52 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 12 September 2019 at 11:57:35 UTC, rjframe wrote:
> I'd argue that it is bad practice to have a thrown Exception at
> CT that doesn't result in a failed compilation; compile-time
> exceptions should be treated by the programmer like failed
> assertions

I strongly disagree with this.

CTFE is explicitly not supposed to be a separate universe with
its own standards of behavior; it's supposed to just be
"functions, executed at compiletime". Crucially, the *same*
functions as at runtime, hence opening up the use of Phobos.

Phobos, which silently throws and catches exceptions internally.