Mesh: a new approach to memory compaction for C/C++

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:06:06 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 at 11:42:51 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> strangeloop talk here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1UBJbfR-H0
>
> and github repo here:
>
> https://github.com/plasma-umass/Mesh
>
> Sounds to me like making D's GC precise by default to enable
> memory compaction is worth pursuing.

I've just skimmed the paper.
It seems that all this does is to defragment the memory at
runtime.
Which it does at regular intervals unless a steady-state
heuristic stops mesh from doing that.
It also seems this allocation scheme only works for small to
medium size allocations done in large quantities.
And therefore would not work if the application does allocation
in large chunks itself (as is the case for dmd by default).

I am going to look into this a bit further.