bool <=> int. WTF. (DIP0015)

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Wed Sep 18 06:09:41 UTC 2019

Sorry old thread I know, but I just got hit by an implicit bool
to long conversion bug today, it's been a recurring theme over
the years, so I checked in to see if anything had finally been
changed to address the recurring bool issue and found this thread
which is relatively recent, and also DIP 1015 that was rejected.

Perhaps the best solution, is rather than attempting to change
what are deeply ingrained and polarised concepts surrounding the
existing quasi bool/integral type, is a DIP proposing the
addition of a new formally defined boolean type that would leave
the existing bool type in place unchanged, no compromises have to
be made, and no legacy code will have to be broken.

Any thoughts on if there may be at least some possible open
minded support by the two guys who have the veto power?