Mesh: a new approach to memory compaction for C/C++

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Wed Sep 18 09:31:07 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 at 11:42:51 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> strangeloop talk here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1UBJbfR-H0
>
> and github repo here:
>
> https://github.com/plasma-umass/Mesh
>
> Sounds to me like making D's GC precise by default to enable
> memory compaction is worth pursuing.

I'm am thinking about the implications for debugging. Mapping the
same page to two virtual memory addresses on the heap creates
weird situations where writing over the bounds of one object
doesn't trash allocations with nearby memory addresses, but can
affect seemingly far away allocations that ended up randomly
aliased to the same page. Even worse, Mesh randomizes allocations
within pages to get more opportunities to alias pages. This means
that some heap-smashing bug will likely present itself
differently on each run. Have fun finding the root cause of that
:/.