DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Sep 19 02:59:22 UTC 2019

On 9/16/2019 9:34 AM, Olivier FAURE wrote:
> More importantly, I've already gone on at length about why Rust isn't directly
> comparable to D, and why this proposal in particular is very different from
> Rust's memory model, and as such needs a deeper analysis than "we'll do it like
> Rust".

The point that matters here is the idea of having only one mutable pointer to a
memory object at a time, or having many const pointers to a memory object. But
not both.

The details of how one achieves that can vary from language to language, but I
believe as long as that principle is followed, it will be sound.