DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:20:07 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 at 10:17:43 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> A bit of friendly advice - berating me is not a great way to
> sell me on your ideas. My natural reaction to that is to look
> hard for ways to reject it. If your idea really is better, then
> you lose, I lose, and the D community loses.

A bit of friendly advice: if you don't want people to berate you,
don't spend months ignoring things they're trying to communicate
to you, especially when they are putting significantly more
visible effort analyzing your points than you put into writing
them.

Seriously, I don't care. I've spent months trying to communicate
the flaws of your proposal to you. I did it with as much
politeness and respect as someone can have while criticizing
someone else's plans. I wrote examples, counter-examples, tried
to understand your general goal, tried to formulate my points as
clearly as I could, wrote a beginning of a counter-proposal
(which I talked to you about, this isn't anything new), etc.

I'm pretty sure I have put more effort into communicating with
you than any contributor on this forum for the last two years.
You've ignored or dismissed everything I said.

So, I don't want to be hostile, I don't want to be rude, and I
try to say this with stoicism.

But I maintain what I said earlier: you make it really, *really*
difficult and painful to communicate with you. From what I've
seen and hear from D contributors, I'm not isolated in that
sentiment.