DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

Piotrek dummy at dummy.gov
Fri Sep 20 16:46:38 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 at 10:17:43 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> Note that Rust has user base of 50,000. There's pretty strong
> evidence that it works. I haven't seen any articles or ripostes
> showing that it doesn't work.

Sorry to say that but Rust community is full of extremists. The
promises of the Rust language has to taken with grain of salt.
I've seen many negative opinions about the actual Rust usage.

Let me list just 3 points of the Rust language issues on software
development(in general):

1. No garbage collector - this means no fully automatic memory
management (cycles).
2. Despite the Rust funboys' claims a compiler won't fix all
memory bugs at compile time, just to name array accesses, but
that is not all.
3. No GUI library because of the language limitations.

Of course any memory safety checks at compile time are nice but I
would be careful with paying too much for it.

Because of its design Rust seems to be less productive than other
popular languages .

Cheers,
Piotrek