DIP 1020--Named Parameters--Community Review Round 2

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 15:49:31 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 at 09:06:23 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the second round of Community
> Review for DIP 1020, "Named Parameters"

You're forbidding calling a function with a positional argument
coming after a named argument, except when the order is exactly
the same as in the function definition. I don't think that's a
good idea, because it makes order of the named parameters
relevant. That may make the function complex to ABI mangle, and
prevents function definer from freely reordering named parameters
afterwards. I think you should either:

-require named arguments to come last in the call (and perhaps
the corresponding parameters in the function definition)
-allow a positional argument to come last in any case. The caller
may stick named arguments anywhere in the argument list, only
exception being that named parameter can't be passed by UFCS.

Otherwise I like this. The best named argument proposal in the
reviews so far.