DIP 1020--Named Parameters--Community Review Round 2

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:57:23 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 24 September 2019 at 17:15:51 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> That's not true.
> The order is relative to the other named parameters except when
> no positional arguments follow.

Hmm, sounds somewhat better. Well, the implementor can define the
parameters last if he wants to be free to reorder afterwards.

> This DIP does not change ABI mangling since named parameters do
> not get mangled (they also don't get considered for overload
> resolution so that makes it possible).

They do not have to be mangled, but the implementor might want to
generate a hash from named parameters to the mangling, to avoid
linking to a function that has different named parameters.

> Thanks, however Walter has killed this DIP so that's that I'm
> afraid.

My symphaties. Ask Mike to mark the DIP postponed? Walter's DIP
has not yet passed the reviews, so there's always the possibility
that someone uncovers a major flaw. In that case, it's good to
have a backup DIP.