Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Sep 25 13:04:09 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 12:50:42 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-09-25 at 10:59 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: […]
>> clean and tidy (cf. Perl!). However, Nim is targeting
>> (experienced) programmers who really don't need a patronizing
>> feature like that. This is a real bummer, in my opinion, like
> […]
>
> Using whitespace instead of curly braces is not patronising, it
> is a language choice.

I will not engage in a discussion about Python-style whitespace
tyranny again. In fact, it can render code actually _less_
readable and trigger compiler errors for no reason other than
"missing indentation on line 149", copying and pasting can be a
real nightmare. Fixing indentation can be time consuming - and
what for? Forcing users to write "clean code". It might be a
language choice - but then it's a bad one, and the fact remains
that Python introduced it to nudge non-programmers into
structuring their code. In other words, it was meant to be
patronizing from the start. Indentation style should be decided
on by the teams using the language and not be part of the
language. Why is this so hard to understand?