Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Sep 25 14:29:19 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 11:02:57 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> In my opinion Nim is one of the closest competitors of D
> because they are both runner up languages and they try to focus
> on productivity. Right now Rust seems to be influencing D a lot
> but I think if you want to look other languages, you should
> definitely also look at Nim.

The problem of D has always been that it constantly follows the
fashion of the day. First it was trying to "beat" C++, then it
was competing with Go, now it's Rust. What's next? I find it
refreshing to see languages like Nim and Zig that try to base
their decisions on what works and what doesn't, what makes sense
and what doesn't, not on Reddit threads about the latest CS
fashion. Given that D has introduced a nice set of promising
features of its own, I don't understand why D is constantly
trying to emulate other languages, before it's even clear whether
feature X will work or not. I think languages like Nim and Zig do
have a chance, if they avoid D's mistakes and focus on their
strengths. Usefulness and consistency are of utmost importance.