DMD git master stuck at 2.084???

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Sep 26 11:46:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 05:52:40AM +0000, Max Samukha via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> dmd build script reads the version from the most recent local tag
> reachable from the head, and you probably did't fetch all of the
> recent tags from upstream. 'git fetch/pull --tags' should fix that.

I tried this on a copy of a "bad" dmd repo I had left, and I still get a
messed up dmd.  Turns out, build.d apparently also uses some kind of
caching / timestamping system to determine when to build something, so I
had to delete the generated/ directory and rerun it before it did the
right thing.

I wish build.d would use content hashing for checking if a source file
has changed, rather than timestamping, or worse, apparently just the
existence of the target.

Lottery: tax on the stupid. -- Slashdotter