Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Sep 26 13:42:47 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 26 September 2019 at 13:26:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> It's [Python] not even a particularly good choice for
> scientific computing, yet it is now a giant in that area.

You're right. Sigh.

> D has its mailing list and a few people doing their own
> projects (I'm in that group) but not a lot of blog posts or
> podcasts or tutorials, and can't even put together
> documentation for Dub. You read the mailing list and about two
> out of every three posts is negative. Until some people step up
> to be leaders of the community, nothing else will matter as far
> as D adoption goes. For all the years I've been involved, it's
> always been people looking to Walter and Andrei to make things
> happen, and I haven't seen anything like that with any other
> language.

There's a huge difference between Python and D, though. Python
(and its proponents) were targeting amateurs. It will be hard to
find a (natural science / tech) student nowadays who hasn't
dabbled in Python. So the audience is huge. But D is targeting
hard core programmers, and they are naturally much harder to
convince, because they know exactly what they want, and what they
want it for. If you don't have a convincing "story" (as Paulo
said), you're out. (Python on the other hand doesn't need a
convincing story, it's used for throw-away scripts and it gives
millions of people the feeling that they are "programmers".) What
D needs is focus and consistency. Simple as.