Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Sep 27 12:59:27 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 12:47:44 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> I came to D from scripting languages like Matlab, Python, and
> R. It got to the point where my code was taking 24 hours + to
> run and I tried to find alternatives that were faster.

You're very wise. I wish more Matlab / Python users switched to
highly performant languages.

> I tried C++, but didn't like it very much. I prefer D to C++,
> but I'm still far more productive in Matlab/Python/R because I
> can depend on other people's libraries to a greater extent.
> However, D has made some good progress on the library front in
> the past two years. Mir has really come into its own with its
> own little universe around it (lubeck and numir are fun) and
> the GSOC project Magpie for Data Frames already looks
> promising. I would contrast this progress on the library front
> with the intellectual issues you are describing on the language
> itself. For me, the biggest downside with D was a lack of
> libraries. As you mentioned above, modules depending on
> modules. The network effect is very important for these types
> of use cases. So I do see progress on this front, even if there
> is a lot of unhappy feelings about some language issues.

That's good to hear. Would you care to tell us what exactly
you're using D for? I'd imagine it's for some sort of stats /
machine learning / AI stuff. Your experience might be valuable
for others who are trying to get away from Matlab / Python, and,
as bachmeier suggested, D might attract more "scrpiters". Let
them know what to expect and what you can do with D + Mir etc.