Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Sep 27 14:01:34 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 13:04:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> If any language is going to overtake Python or R among
> scientific users, I am betting Julia will be that language.

*If* that is going to happen, I think you're right. Many
economists have been moving from Matlab to Julia. For instance,
the New York Fed has ported their forecasting model (a fairly
large codebase) from Matlab to Julia. Matlab is not the best
language, but a bigger factor is that it's really expensive -
wealthy institutions complain about Matlab licensing costs. I
don't see it making much progress in replacing Python or R yet.
Maybe that's just my small view of the world.

A different use case, for which Julia isn't as well suited, is
writing extensions. In R, the most popular dependency for
packages by far is C++ in the form of Rcpp. D is a perfect
replacements, and that's primarily how I've been using it (giving
up on C++ for that was why I looked at D in the first place).
There's a lot of room for D in that area. Too bad I don't have
time to work on marketing it.