Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Sep 27 14:43:32 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 14:31:14 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> Octave is a  free implementation of Matlab that is quite
> capable, but it does not provide all the specialized matlab
> functions needed to achieve 100% compatibility.  So if that is
> an obstacle for Octave, then it probably is an obstacle for
> Julia as well.

Not the real deal. People always return to Matlab.

> Anyway, as long as Python is taking over in higher education
> then Python will remain the language of choice...  Since Julia
> is not suitable for CS students then Python most likely will
> keep that position.
>
> Btw, I think most people need a very compelling reason to
> switch to a new language.

Three compelling reasons: performance, performance and
performance. :)

Seriously, there's a lot of great stuff out there, but it's
written in Python and Matlab and thus often quite useless except
as "proof of concept". This has been bugging me for years.