Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:41:46 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 18:16:27 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> The desire to write your own programs and try out other
> languages is probably necessary to become a decent programmer.
> Not sure what can be done with that. In the 80s low level

Another factor is that in the 80s and 90s the available languages
were quite primitive and not too big and the hardware was
insufficient for many tasks.  So there was a real motivation to
look for better tools.

As languages and eco systems have become quite large and hardware
is sufficient for most tasks, then we also should expect less
motivation for looking for better tools.

Seems like the adoption of new languages today is primarily
driven by a desire by big corporations to avoid compatibility and
isolate their own eco systems.

Apple/Swift.
Microsoft/C#.
Google/Go/Koitlin.
Oracle/Java.

I am not sure if this trend is a good thing. Actually it probably
is bad.

Seems like there is a desire for big business to segregate
developers into Apple-programmers, Microsoft-programmers,
Google-programmers, Business/Database programmers…

Clearly not beneficial to programmers.

Python bypasses all that though. Which in my view is a good thing.