Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Sun Sep 29 03:53:57 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 12:47:44 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 10:45:31 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> D has become too intellectual, i.e. playing with ideas and
>> abstract concepts have become more important than the real
>> world. And the problem is that this playing around with ideas
>> has negatively affected the use of D in the real world. Once
>> the D community gets over that, D might have a convincing
>> "story" (it did when I first started to use it, in ~2010 I
>> think).
>
> I came to D from scripting languages like Matlab, Python, and
> R. It got to the point where my code was taking 24 hours + to
> run and I tried to find alternatives that were faster. I tried
> C++, but didn't like it very much. I prefer D to C++, but I'm
> still far more productive in Matlab/Python/R because I can
> depend on other people's libraries to a greater extent.
> However, D has made some good progress on the library front in
> the past two years. Mir has really come into its own with its
> own little universe around it (lubeck and numir are fun) and
> the GSOC project Magpie for Data Frames already looks
> promising. I would contrast this progress on the library front
> with the intellectual issues you are describing on the language
> itself. For me, the biggest downside with D was a lack of
> libraries. As you mentioned above, modules depending on
> modules. The network effect is very important for these types
> of use cases. So I do see progress on this front, even if there
> is a lot of unhappy feelings about some language issues.

I haven't done much with it yet but I hooked up your embedr to
our scripting language written in D and it works for examples
with very little effort.  I was planning to do same for Julia so
we can steal their libraries too.  So currently you can write
inline D and R in SIL.  Python isn't far off working and C++ and
C# one can do a hello world but not much more (using cling and
mono). I think using cling one could maybe expose quite a lot of
C++ libraries to D if you don't insist on zero overhead.

What were the practical limitations you encountered with using R
libraries from D via embedr?