Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 20:39:19 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 at 01:29:59 UTC, Benjiro wrote:
> [...]
> build up a loyal base and you will never motivate them to help
> out with code or money.
>
> You can not run anything worth while with D unless you plan on
> spending a lot of time writing supporting code yourself. Some
> companies have no issue with this but little old me can not be
> bothered with it, when there are plenty of good alternatives
> that get the job done as good.
>
> * I know one of the posters on this forum a bit more personal.
> We have had some discussions about the different compilers.
> Just as he used Go for his personal project, i used Crystal for
> mine. We both found D too much trouble for the advantages it
> gave.
>
> Its a vicious circle and i know it.
>
> Lack in people / contributors => No Packaging / Bugs / Issues
> => New people scared away => Lack in people / contributors ....
>
> * D just is not sexy. I know D now from 10/2016 ( when i got
> Ali's book. Programming in D ). Loved the book and language
> syntax ( especially if you come from PHP ) but it was all the
> rest that ruined it for me. And over the years D seems to have
> been going down a direction that i hated. New features that had
> no meaning for me, code breaking issues and resources being put
> in features like BetterC, when all i wanted was a god darn
> simple HTTP server that worked and kept working on release
> updates. And more active packages.
>
> * On the subject of Programming in D, i noticed a lot of books
> are old. BetterC, the feature where a lot of resources have
> gone into, seems to be ignored in every book on the market.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> To give you a nice example how much of a irritation D can be
> even today. Just right now, i tried to install D on Ubuntu
> because i want to time the current D compile speed, vs a few
> other languages. And i am following the official order (
> https://dlang.org/download.html ):
>
> 1. sudo wget
> http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/project/d-apt/files/d-apt.list
> -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/d-apt.list
> 2. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y
> --allow-unauthenticated install --reinstall d-apt-keyring
> 3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dmd-compiler dub
>
> Guess what happens on Step 2.
>
>> Err:7 https://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/d-apt
>> d-apt InRelease
>   The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
> public key is not available:  NO_PUBKEY EBCF975E5BA24D5E
>
> And this issue was posted a LONG time ago.
>
> Yep ... Now try Go, Crystal, Nim, Rust, ... and a lot of other
> languages. I have installed all those dozens of times and a
> issue like simply do not show up or are fixed so fast, that it
> never hits "me". But whenever it involves D, its always one
> thing or another.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Hopefully this explains things from my point of view, where D
> simply fails me personally. Its late so i am off to bed.

+1

Same for me for everything you said.

I personally use D only for file processing scripts, first
because D is very good at that, but also because this generally
(but not always) prevents me from suffering from many of those
problems you mentioned.

> * Focus upon C++ crowd, when very few C++ developers have any
> interest in D. Hell, if a C++ developer wants to switch, they
> have better alternatives with bigger or better growing
> communities.

> Its a vicious circle and i know it.
>
> Lack in people / contributors => No Packaging / Bugs / Issues
> => New people scared away => Lack in people / contributors ....

> * D just is not sexy. I know D now from 10/2016 ( when i got
> Ali's book. Programming in D ). Loved the book and language
> syntax ( especially if you come from PHP ) but it was all the
> rest that ruined it for me. And over the years D seems to have
> been going down a direction that i hated. New features that had
> no meaning for me, code breaking issues and resources being put
> in features like BetterC, when all i wanted was a god darn
> simple HTTP server that worked and kept working on release
> updates. And more active packages.

> Yep ... Now try Go, Crystal, Nim, Rust, ... and a lot of other
> languages. I have installed all those dozens of times and a
> issue like simply do not show up or are fixed so fast, that it
> never hits "me". But whenever it involves D, its always one
> thing or another.

Very well summarized...

I'm a C++ developer myself (even if these days I program mostly
in C#), and obviously I'm using D as a better Python/Ruby, not as
a better C++.

And as a "true" C++ alternative, D is far from being the best
choice. I'd rather choose Rust, Zig and even Nim for my typical
C/C++ use case, despite indeed it's obviously *possible* to use D
for that, precisely because I know D's major pain points.

D being garbage collected, I once hope it would embrace the
Go/Crystal wagon of those similar languages which have put their
focus on web application developement, so that their base library
is providing all the required building blocks (coroutines, http,
etc) in such a way we can bery easily build our own web
frameworks with just a few lines of code.

But I now understand that the focus is on "BetterC", not on
"BetterGo"...