Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

JN 666total at wp.pl
Mon Sep 30 07:07:34 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 at 22:27:40 UTC, Joakim Brännström
wrote:
> The development of D is mostly done by voluteres which mean
> that I am grateful for all their time and work.
> I do not expect much in the way of support or that *they*
> listen to me.
> In the same way I do not expect it from any other language I
> use.
> The few times I have asked for help there has always been
> someone that can provide it.
> Last time it was kinke in fixing an ldc bug (thank you).
>
> // Joakim

This is true. However, given that it's a volunteer project, there
is room for improvement. If the workforce is limited, it's spread
over the language/libraries surface. If we were to minimize that
surface, we can have more work done.

I think D shouldn't be afraid to cut some of the language
features which aren't used much, or have a viable workaround.
This way the language would be smaller and easier to
maintain/bugfix. Also, smaller language means lesser chance of
bugs occuring in the first place. Right now I feel like D is in
that weird spot. It's too afraid to cut or rework existing
features for language stability, but then is too brave
introducing new concepts which weren't battle-tested before.

Main issues with D aren't with the specific features, which often
came up as a good idea and solve some problem, but the problem is
when these features interact with other features. The result is a
lot of unexpected interactions (look at any DIP discussion
thread, there's always a case of "yeah but this breaks if I have
an immutable shared union with alias this"), added cognitive load
for the programmer and harder to write generic code.