Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Sep 30 11:21:21 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 10:14:52 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 09:21:30 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Atm, I'm mainly using Kotlin and I have to say that a small
>> set of clever and well thought-out features can get you a long
>> way. Do I miss some of D's features? Not really, because
>> Kotlin provides enough useful and battle-tested features that
>> you need 90% of the time [1]. Once I missed `static if`, but I
>> could live without it.
>>
>> Mind you, Kotlin has some restrictions due to the fact that it
>> has to be a 100% compatible with Java/JVM. But even when you
>> use Kotlin/Native (without the Java universe, i.e. modules and
>> libraries) you can get quite far. I think D should aim at that.
>>

> I think Kotlin's dependency on Java/JVM is actually a benefit,
> because they know what worked and didn't work in Java and could
> work on improving that. Also, they are 100% behind the OOP
> paradigm, so they can introduce most features that benefit
> that. For example features like data classes or singleton
> objects are very useful, even if they are mostly a language
> syntax sugar for certain design patterns.

If Kotlin wants to stay relevant on the Java/JVM platform
(Android is another matter), they cannot come up with
incompatible designs that force FFI jumps between platform
semantics and whatever they come up with in Kotlin land.

Some examples of these impedance mistmatch are already visible,
namely memory semantics between Kotlin/JVM and Kotlin/Native,
sequences vs JVM streams, Kotlin lambdas vs JVM SAM types.

Same applies to whatever reboot might happen with D.