Is it time for D 3.0?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:30:41 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 31 March 2020 at 23:25:31 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 March 2020 at 17:52:39 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
>> Why do you think it would ? At the moment we have a sliding
>> window for deprecation. We'd just change that to have a
>> specific time for removal. I don't see how that would make
>> every release a breaking change ?
>
> Yup, assuming the current 3-month release cadence continues it
> would make sense to make all breaking changes in only one of
> those 4 quarterly releases.  A Christmas present to the
> community? O:-)

That would be a step... Sideways ?

Currently we follow this:
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/5afe088809bed47e45e14c9a90d7e78910ac4054/DIPs/accepted/DIP1013.md
Personally, the main disruption I had over the last 2 years was
the concurrent GC (a new feature) being enabled by default. There
was hardly any breaking change.

With the current 10-release deprecation period and 3-months
between release, this means a deprecation is up for 30 months, or
2 1/2 years before being removed. I don't think we should shorten
it any further, it already proved problematic on some occasions
(e.g. body => do).