Is it time for D 3.0?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 07:14:12 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 at 06:58:47 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:

> Small correction: we have a major release every two months -
> see: https://dlang.org/changelog/release-schedule.html
>
> You can see the history of releases here:
> https://dlang.org/changelog/index.html

Oops! So not even 2 years of deprecation.
When I tried to follow the deprecation schedule, one of our
corporate user complained and this happened:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10763
Personally I am sympathetic to the situation, and they are not
alone. If I remember correctly Weka also had a period where they
were not updating their compiler because it was just so much work
(although it had more to do with regressions AFAIR).
Personally I'd be in favor of extending the deprecation period
for symbols or feature whose replacement hasn't been available
for a long time.