-preview switches

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:20:22 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 at 14:26:15 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:

> Walter and I discussed this last week.
>
> I think the right way to nudge D programmers to transition to
> where we can turn -preview into -revert is to issue deprecation
> messages for a while. Nothing like a noisy build to get people
> to file issues on github (or even better, PRs) to get this
> fixed.

While I understand this would be more work I still believe
supporting both is going to be critical.

It is one thing to update your code to breaking changes, it is
completely different to do it for all your dependencies.

I'm not saying to support all versions indefinitely, but having
clear breaking change releases where a dub package can build with
D 3.x and build 2.x libraries will make for easier transitions.

The 2.x build can have all the depreciations that are breaking in
3.x. Realistically, the 2.x would probably just be 3.x using
--revert.