-preview switches

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:17:23 UTC 2020

>> On 4/1/20 1:12 PM, David Gileadi wrote:
>>> Yes, it's that last thing--I'm exclusively on a Mac.
>>
>> Well in that case, let's just see what happens ;)
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/3016
>>

> In almost all cases, it makes things better. Most of the examples of the
> differences are places where people were writing markdown not realizing
> it wouldn't come out that way in the ddocs.
>
> Just a couple of quirks, I'll fix those and then we can merge this.

It's merged. Anyone want to make it the default?

There were 6 modules that were different with this change. In 4 of them,
the documentation looked better, as the authors of the docs were
expecting markdown-like behavior without realizing it wouldn't happen.

In one case, it appears that markdown interpreted a >= as the start of a
blockquote (started with >).

In one case, someone used underscores for marking D code instead of
dashes. This subtle problem looks very similar to the right thing when
reviewing the source, but looks wrong on the actual docs (just
underscores come out, and all the D code is just mashed together as
plain text). The markdown turned these into <hr>, which actually looked
a bit better, but drew attention to the fact that the wrong marking was
used (the D code was still mashed up and not highlighted).

I think there is very little breakage that would happen from making this
the default, and the worst thing that happens is your docs look funky
until you fix them, or you find __ bugs ;)

BTW, thanks to Vladimir for the auto-tester for documentation, this made
the process super-simple to see what happened, especially with the diff
mode.

-Steve