Bug on windows DMD v2.0.90.1 ?

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 17:10:06 UTC 2020

On 03/04/2020 09:56, Luis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to help with Pegged and I setup a CI testing with travis and
> appveyor (so, we can see when a pull request breaks Pegged). There was a
> error with excessive ram usage on Pegged that was fixed (from dub test
> using nearly 4GiB of RAM to ~600MiB), that perhaps is related to this issue
>
> So we are puzzled why dmd v2.090.1 on Windows, keeps falling. I doubled
> checked that with v2.091.0, both on 32bit and 64 bit versions, compiles
> fine. Sadly I don't know how measure the RAM usage of DMD as there isn't
> a equivalent of "time -v" on powershell. The appveyor VM looks that
> haves only 4GiB of RAM.
>
> The error, sometimes throws this :
>
> core.exception.OutOfMemoryError at src\core\exception.d(647): Memory
> allocation failed
>
> Other times simply shows a "Error: out of memory"

The out-of-memory error happens because the build uses almost 2 GB of
memory (from observing execution in the process explorer).
Unfortunately, dmd versions 2.089.x and 2.090.x were no longer built
with the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE bit set, which causes the OS to limit the
32-bit process to 2 GB for legacy reasons, instead of the theoretically
possible 4 GB.

This bit was reenabled automatically when switching to LDC and the MS
linker as host compiler for dmd 2.091.