Bitarrays in the age of 64bit

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Sun Apr 5 11:49:27 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 5 April 2020 at 10:46:18 UTC, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl
wrote:
> I thought of a whole new type-system, where ALL pointers are
> bit-pointers, just the "standard" types now have to follow a
> byte-alignment (the address has to be divisible by 8 - like on
> 68000er, where all multi-byte types had to have even addresses).
Let me explain this a little further.
Motorola learned, that sparing one address line was not worth the
hussle that was not necessary on other architectures, so later on
they added the missing line (in 60030). If now a language exists,
that make good use of direct bit-addressing, some time later they
may also be available in hardware, so the alignment requirement
can be removed also.
Segmentation may be a good idea if every line in hardware is
extra ordinary expensive, but nowadays it should be no factor
anymore. It's only a traditional bad habit to segment the memory
into bytes.