Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Apr 5 21:01:55 UTC 2020

On 04.04.20 08:55, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Well, I don't think that you've actually acknowledged any of it, and what
>> ignoring it.
>
> I have replied to it more than once.

It however seems you have yet to reply in a way that makes sense to
anyone (perhaps besides yourself).

You could argue that the underlying problem is that it is even allowed
to mark extern(C) functions as @safe, and that this is a language design
bug that exists today and is independent of DIP 1028, but acknowledging
the problem (silent API breakage, insanely error prone defaults for
extern functions) and then dismissing it as irrelevant by pointing out
that there is no problem if you just fix all the existing code and then
proceed to make no further mistakes is somewhat ridiculous.