OT: Request for Comment assert(__ctfe)

Johan j at j.nl
Mon Apr 6 10:32:12 UTC 2020

On Monday, 6 April 2020 at 07:33:19 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Monday, 6 April 2020 at 03:11:41 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 06.04.20 04:25, Stefan Koch wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> For no reason at all. It's the appropriate place to expand
>> simple short-hand notation, e.g., see template functions.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I don't mind the what. I just mind the when. But it's not a big
> deal either way. I would have done it in sema.

Offtopic.
This triggers me, so a quick response: the tree rewriting that
happens all over the place in the compiler frontend is very
problematic with anything that has to report back to the user and
more: debug location information, error reporting, coverage
reporting, syntax highlighting, source formatting, etc., etc. [*]

-Johan

[*] As an example, even the harmless looking replacement of
__FILE__ by the parser, turns out to be very problematic for LDC
for deterministically generating symbol names (linking) when
combined with crossmodule inlining :(