AWS game engine - lumberyard

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 02:44:39 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 7 April 2020 at 17:50:02 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
> Did anybody get Amazon's game-engine to work with D? :)
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/details/

(Just my personal opinion, feel free to ignore it, esp. since I
don't work in gamedev)

I wouldn't recommend using it unless you're a mid to large sized
company. It requires great level of expertise and has large
codebase which means modifying it will be a torture unless you
can't afford $10k workstation. I also assume there will be
leftovers from CryEngine 3 here and there which was... um..
sorry, no comments.

Back to the point. Technically there shouldn't be anything that
stops you to make D plugin to the engine using their "bus"
mechanisms. It will require a lot of work though to even just
make simple moving object demo (that's why mid+ sized company is
a must).

If you just look for advice about complexity and possibility to
use it with D here is my approx. ratings for major engines (first
score - ease of integration, second score - overall usability and
engine quality, all scores from 0 to 10):

- CryEngine 5 | 6 / 4  (uses regular shared libs, should be
relatively easy)
- Unity       | 7 / 7
- Godot       | 7 / 5  (it already has some D integration so the
score is that high)
- UnrealEngine| 2 / 7  (requires a lot of metadata, and there is
no docs about it)
- Lumberyard  | 5 / 5  (probably you want to stick with ebus, not
sure about plain DLL's)

Even though some engines such as UE4 is a PITA to integrate with,
you can go the other way around and implement your game as DLL
and then use the engine to visualize game world state and
handle/forward physics/input/events to your game code.

Again, this is just my personal experience, and it may or may not
reflect real state of affairs.

Anyway if you're looking to actually finish a game then just use
Unity or Unreal, if you want to make whole game in D no matter
the odds - do it, ignore engines, take some ECS framework and add
features as you go.