Is it time for D 3.0?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:01:49 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 07:13:37 UTC, Kaitlyn Emmons wrote:
> Oh and in D3 can we clean up "is"? Its like the syntax version
> of mom spaghetti.
> D2 has fallen into the same trap c++ has.. never cleaning up
> old bad features!

You can't be serious... Just grep for "Removed" or deprecated in
the changelog, you have a hit on almost any release. v2.091.0
removed class deallocator (provided, they already error-ed out
before). 2.089.0 deprecated some case of shadowing, along with a
few change which could break user code (e.g. mixin + extern(C)).
And the release before that, the list is just too long to cite:
https://dlang.org/changelog/2.088.0.html

And that is just language changes. Runtime and Phobos receive a
lot of cleanups too.

> PLEASE BREAK MY CODE!! A BETTER LANGUAGE IS WORTH CODE
> BREAKAGE..

"Better" is not an absolute metric, unfortunately. What is better
for you will be worse for someone else. I've seen it repeated
countless time, someone tries to get rid of a language feature
that is not "worth their weight", only to have someone that uses
this feature come up with an argument why it is worth its weight.

We had a few cases were language fixes were *definitely* worth
it. The `case`-implicit-fallthrough deprecation comes to mind
immediately. We had other cases were, while the change was
welcomed, it forced *a lot* of downstream users to change their
(working) code. That's not something we should do too often.

> how is that not obvious.. if we cared about not having to
> rewrite code we would all still be using cpp.. just BREAK D2
> already!! DAMN.. its old and getting stale..
>
> I just wanted to say that cus this thread will most likely die
> out like the n other threads about this topic.. nothing ever
> gets done.. even though there has been strong desire for D3 in
> the community for like 6 years now or something.. WALTER THIS
> IS ON YOU! MAKE THE DECISION TO KILL D2 PLEASE WE BEG YOU <3

This is so out of touch with the reality of software development
it sounds almost like a troll.