memory safety checks and trust

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 22:33:11 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 16 April 2020 at 04:49:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/15/2020 1:14 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> A good reference point would be C. If it is allowed in C, it
>> should be allowed in @system D. If I put @system on a D
>> function, i tell the compiler not to bug me with incorrect
>> assumptions about my code's safety.
>
> What matters is having a way to get things done, not any way.

Did I propose "any way"? You said that there were no objective
criteria for what checks to perform. I proposed C as a reference,
which basically means "unsafe enough to rule out complaints such
as Adam's". If you are going to make @safe the default, it makes
sense to reduce the restrictions on @system, not the other way
round.