Build using D

NaN divide at by.zero
Fri Apr 17 00:29:59 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 16 April 2020 at 17:45:51 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 4/16/20 1:11 PM, NaN wrote:
>> Why not actually use D as build system for D projects? I
>> assume DUB is written in D, but why not just have DUB features
>> in a library and use a D build script?
>>
>> rdmd build.d
>>
>> Is it a dumb idea?
>>

> DMD doesn't think so:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/src/build.d
>
> And it's fast too. I really like it better than the makefile bs
> before.

How much of that build.d could be factored out into a separate
build utilities module? I was thinking not that people would roll
their own completely custom build script, more like you'd have a
bunch of utilities and be able to have a concise build script
that was very flexible and easy to add extra features. So it's
quick and easy if people want it to be, but can be extended
easily, plus its D, so it's not another language / bunch of
rules/quirks to learn.