Is it time for D 3.0?

Konstantin kostya.hm2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 22:59:43 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 08:47:23 UTC, Kaitlyn Emmons wrote:
> On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 08:01:49 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
>> This is so out of touch with the reality of software
>> development it sounds almost like a troll.
>
> I been following this community for like 6 years now and i
> remember when i joined people were asking for D3.. the troll is
> the fact people still discussing it and nothing has been done

I'm c++ programmer and not familiar with Dlang enough. I only
observed language features
and time over time read forum discussions about dlang past and
future.

I will try to summarize many different opinions about D.

Marketing and purpose.

Some people wrote posts about problems "to sell" D to programmers
like modern languages(Rust, Go, Java). It's not clear which
niches Dlang was designed to cover.

It can't be used for high frequency trading or other niches where
performance is matter, because has dependency on GC in language
structure and infrastructure (classes).
Bad support for non-gc methods in standard library. But there are
cool features for template metaprogramming, mixins, good compile
time evaluation support. Cool reflection is also big thing(c++
just on the road, but D has support reflection much earlier).

On the other hand there are many general purpose languages with
GC(Java, C# etc). And why programmers should take D instead? Yes,
there are no corporations like Oracle, Microsoft behind D and
small community. Oldstyle "stop the world" GC does not add
popularity to Dlang.

I also saw some programmers use D as scripting language or
language for prototypes because you can program, compile fast and
good syntax, infrastructure(packet manager, build system) are
helpful.

In fact dlang is old, but still unpopular.

Approaches and leadership.

There are many memory management features like refcounting, gc,
owner/borrow semantic from Rust in D. However these features are
not integrated in language, libraries. May be choose one and
design, implement, test it to be ready? Because community is
small and everyone do what interested in and try to move lang in
different ways. I see that like a "box of unfinished projects".

Were there any discussions about dlang fork?

On my opinion Dlang has features to be popular system and
scripting language. It needs not many cool unfinished things, but
well implemented. And lang needs development plan with priorities.

P.S.
Sorry for my bad english.
I wrote all this because i'm tired to write simple things hard
way in c++, but does not see any good alternatives.
And as i know initial purpose on Dlang development was
re-engineering of c++.