Is it time for D 3.0?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Apr 21 18:37:19 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 15:56:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> There have been a lot of this pattern happening:
>
> 1. We need to add feature X, to fix problem Y.
> 2. This will break ALL CODE IN EXISTENCE
> 3. OK, cancel the fix, we'll just live with it.
>
> Having a new branch of the compiler will provide a way to keep
> D2 development alive while giving a playground to add new
> mechanisms, fix long-existing design issues, and provide an
> opt-in for code breakage.
>
> Some issues I can think of:
>
> 1. The safe by default debate
> 2. pure by default
> 3. nothrow by default
> 4. String interpolation DIP
> 5. auto-decoding
> 6. range.save
> 7. virtual by default
> 8. ProtoObject

[snip]

> I just wanted to throw it out as a discussion point. We spend
> an awful lot of newsgroup server bytes debating things that to
> me seem obvious, but have legitimate downsides for not breaking
> them in a "stable" language.
>
> -Steve

Interesting post. Yet very unspecific, and as far as I remember,
Walter decided that unspecific posts would not be heeded anymore.
Be that as it may, what difference will it make? As you said,
other languages are developing fast and, may I add, are keeping
an eye on recent developments like big data and (relatively) new
platforms. I fear the D train won't leave the station anymore.

As a prominent D user once said:

"So any discussion _now_ would have the very same structure of
the discussion _then_, and would lead to the exact same result.
It's quite tragic. And I urge the real D supporters to let such
conversation die (topics debated to death) as soon as they
appear."

It's quite tragic indeed.