Nobady is going to complain about that...

Arine arine1283798123 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:05:00 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 at 18:21:13 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 at 14:54:58 UTC, welkam wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK50z_gUpZI&t=1321
>>
>> I think people in this forum will find these 11 secs as amusing
>
> Meanwhile in real world:
>
> https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/UnrealArchitecture/Objects/Optimizations/index.html

They aren't using a generic garbage collector. They built a
system specifically designed for their purposes. Without a doubt,
they spent a lot of time optimizing that. And it definitely
doesn't have to do as much as a generic GC that allocates memory.
There only N amount of objects and they can only interact in a
specific way. You don't have to scan memory and inaccurate accept
a long type as a reference to a section of memory.

> https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/mixed-reality
>
> https://stadia.dev/intl/de_de/blog/unity-production-ready-support-for-stadia-now-available/
>
> https://developer.nintendo.com/tools
>
> https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/unity

Unity uses C#, but at its core it still uses C++. Sadly that
portion is closed source. As well they use only a subset of C#
which is severely crippled and effectively disables almsot every
GC reliant feature.

> https://www.cryengine.com/tutorials/view/programming-and-project-guides/c-programming#

Not that familiar with cryengine, but I imagine they probably
copied Unity here as they didn't originally use C#.

> https://gapid.dev/about/

I've used gapid in the past, its a piece of garbage that doesn't
work right. I've had more success with Render Doc
https://renderdoc.org/.

> So yeah, those guys on the videos are entitled to their
> opionion on how GCs are bad, yet Google, Nintendo, Microsoft,
> Epic, Crytech seem to be doing quite fine with them.

Yah posting a bunch of links to things you don't understand or
how they work. You've just given all good examples against a
generic GC used for memory management.